Saturday, October 4, 2014

Hawaii Part I

After a month long hiatus, it's about time to recap my Hawaii/Florida/Seattle August vacation!

I got off the plane Wednesday night in Kahului and drove for a little under an hour until we reached Lahaina! The next morning, I woke up and walked to the closest beach, which is about a ten minute walk. Baby Beach was almost empty when I got there at about 8 am, which was great! After a couple hours, I headed home and hopped in the car. Driving south along the Honoapiilani Highway is a beautiful sight! It stretches right along the west coast of the island and there are many lookout spots to stop and take pictures at along the way.

Honoapiilani Highway lookout

The next morning, my sister and I headed out to Baby Beach again. This time, with a pair of snorkeling gear. We didn't go too far out, because she has a slight fear of snorkeling. The water was a little murky as well, so we could barely see five feet in front of us. So snorkeling was a little bit of a bust, but we're going to try another beach later this week. That evening, we walked down Front Street, which is filled with shops, restaurants, and art exhibits that line the beach. I even got myself a Dole Whip! It tasted just like I remember it at Disney World.




Saturday morning, we got up early and began our journey on the road to Hana, which is on the furthest east point of the island.  This is a must-do if you ever come to the island of Maui. We first went to the Haleakala National Park and hiked up a mile to the famous Bamboo Forest. From there, we hiked another mile up to Waimoku Falls. It was a beautiful sight, and a great workout! Although I warn you, the pool at the base of the waterfall is not large enough to swim in. We chuckled to ourselves when people hiked past us, two miles up with flip flops on and a towel over their shoulder. From there, we drove further up the road to Black Sand Beach. Honestly, it wasn't all that in my opinion. And apparently the water is very chilly, so I did not intend on swimming. However, the shaved ice they sell in the parking lot is to die for!







Sunday morning, we woke up with the intention of going stand up paddle boarding, but the wind was too strong. One impulsive decision later, and we were up in the air para sailing! It is insane how calm everything is once you get in the air. And the view of Maui and the surrounding islands is absolutely beautiful! Later in the day, we went pool hopping at the resorts that line the boardwalk. That was a blast, and well worth the scorching sunburn it caused!




No comments:

Post a Comment