Saturday, October 6, 2012

Roma Capitale

"All roads lead to Rome."

The phrase is common enough - I'm sure you have heard it at one point or another. What most people don't know is that, at one point in time, this was actually true. In the thriving Roman Empire, Rome was the center of the world and, like the phrase says, all roads lead to this city. Everyone knew where they were going and they knew what would be waiting there at the end of the road - Rome.

How convenient.

I wish I could say the same for our world today. In the midst of all the politics, celebrity scandals, and hot new technology, the roads we use to travel on a daily basis no longer seem to lead anywhere in particular. There is no grand destination. Most of us are simply skirting the back streets in an attempt to quickly get from point A to point B, then back again to point A, then to point C... I think you catch my drift.

So this leads me to ask: Where are you really going, and do you know exactly what will be waiting for you at the end of that road?

If you are anything like me, the answers to both of these questions will be an unsurprising "I don't know." And you know what - that's okay. It's understandable to not know where you are going in life. As long as you know where you are right now, you might as well take in the beautiful scenery and simply conclude that today, all roads lead to nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment