Friday, November 9, 2012

Snow Cones

Never in my life have I seen snow in November. It just doesn't work that way in Seattle, but when we do get snow, usually around January or February (once in April), it's a party! It is as if we are seeing it for the first time! However, this happiness may be conditioned through the reward of no school days that are gifted to young children like candy once the first snowflake hits the ground.

If only it worked that way in college.

Of course, when it began snowing, I was ecstatic! That was, until I realized classes were not going to be cancelled because here, this much snow is normal. According to B.F. Skinner, now that my reward of no school has been taken away, my conditioned response to snow (happiness) should quickly become extinct.

However, I don't think Skinner would have taken into account the other factor that fuels my happiness, my very being, during the winter. And now that I live somewhere where it snows an inch per hour (about the current rate for the past three hours), this reward will be never-ending.

Homemade snow cones. To share the happiness, here is my recipe:

1 (1/4 oz.) envelope drink mix (I prefer Hawaiian Fruit Punch, but Kool-Aid works too)
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Water

Stir together until sugar is dissolved. Pour over snow, mix, and enjoy. 

3 comments: