Friday, June 7, 2013

Change

I have unofficially decided to change my career path on more than one occasion, as noted in at least three of my previous posts: To Be or Not To Be... Psychology!, Actually..., and Forensics. These impromptu changes were most likely because of how it was fictitiously portrayed in some particular movie or TV series. And yet again, I have decided on a new field of study.

Major: Communications/Journalism           
Minors: Psychology & Media Arts Studies

However, this decision is not based on a new TV show I have discovered. It has been influenced by a combination of my love for writing and the growing YouTube community.

Ever since I was young, I have displayed a great passion for writing. I've always dreamt that I would become a famous author, but alas, my short attention span and lack of patience has prevented me from completing even half of a novel. I had finally settled on the fact that writing would never be part of my career - it would simply remain a favorite hobby. Instead, I pursued psychology. Don't get me wrong, I love it! As a writer, I am very interested in people and how they think and interact, but I dread the research aspect of this field. There is no way I want to be stuck in a lab working all day, or constantly conducting experiments.

But how does YouTube play into this, you may ask? I will be the first one to admit that as I watch my favorite YouTubers throughout the day, I'm not just fangirling and drooling over their attractive accents. They are using relatively new media platforms to reach out, often on a global scale, in order to contribute for good. YouTube has been increasingly effective in educating and uniting people from around the world, and I want to be a part of that.

Ideally, I want to travel the world in an effort to educate my readers/viewers about the conditions in which some people must live, whether this is their housing, health, or social conditions. I would immerse myself in a particular project - interacting, filming, researching, and writing. The finished product would be an article or blog post paired with a short 5-7 minute video, both informing the audience about the project and what they can do to help. I believe that when these mediums of publication are combined, a larger audience can be reached, more people will be influenced, and more changes for good can be made throughout the world. Below are examples of videos that accomplish just this.

Comic Relief - South Africa
JacksGap
 
The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation - Toronto, Canada
Troye Sivan
 
The Rainbow Centre - Sri Lanka
JacksGap
 



No comments:

Post a Comment